Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fresh Veggies!!

I got very lucky today when some folks from a local farm knocked on my door offering to sell produce.  Sometimes local independent farmers will come into the city and go door to door, but I usually go to the farmer's market for my seasonal goodies. Anyway, they gave me a decent deal--I got 30lbs of fruit and veggies for $25, all organic, no pesticides, and the best tasting I've had in a long time.



My first thought was that I had to use those glorious tomatoes. So I whipped up a quick fresh corn and tomato salad. It is to die for. Here's the result:


Here's all you have to do:

Shuck two ears of fresh corn, and cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife.

Dice two large fresh tomatoes and remove as many seeds as you can (if possible)

Dice half a shallot very, very finely

combine 1 tbs oil (I used canola, you can use olive oil or another kind if you want)
with 1 tbs rice wine vinegar and a squeeze of lemon

Toss the veggies with the oil-vinegar mixture. Now season with fresh black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika (if you have it) and sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment