Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sesame Bread

Saturday morning, my beloved wanders into the living room while I'm reading something mindless on Reddit and sipping a molten hot cup of coffee.
 "Can you bake something today?" he asks, rubbing his eyes and stretching.
"What do you want?"
"You haven't made bread in a while."
"You're right! I haven't, that could be fun! What kind?"
"I don't know. Something with sesame."
 And, lucky for both of us, I happened to have half a bag of Indian Black Sesame seeds that I bought from Penzey's a few months back in order to make bagels. So I made some bread!

 
 Here's the recipe. It's really simple, and I love it.
 4 cups Bread flour
 2 teaspoons instant yeast
 1/2 cup sourdough starter
2 teaspoons salt
1 tbs sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/4 cups warm water (100 degrees)
 3-4 tbs sesame seeds

 Just add the yeast, oil, salt and sugar to the water, stir and let sit until it foams. Stir in the 1/2 cup of starter and then start working in the flour. You can knead by hand, but I used my dough hook on my kitchen aid mixer. I added some of the sesame seeds while kneading to make sure some got inside. Knead until you've made a smooth, elastic dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, turn to coat, cover, and allow it to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Gently deflate the dough, and then form either one big loaf (as I did) or divide into two equal pieces and roll into logs. over the braid and allow it to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it's almost doubled in size. Beat an egg white and brush the top of the bread, then sprinkle on the rest of the sesame seeds. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment